Yesterday saw the publication of what I believed to be the standout male performances from 2017 while today’s list is a rundown of the most impressive female performances of the year. And, much like yesterday’s list, this overview will also feature a number of omissions for various reasons, mainly my inability to see certain films. Cynthia Nixon in Terence Davies’ A Quiet Passion comes to mind and one that I have seen show up on several lists.
As always, I’m sure there are a number of performances missing from my list due to the simple fact that I have yet to see them, performances such as Timothée Chalamet’s role in Call Me by Your Name or Gary Oldham’s portrayal of Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour. I’m sure that these two specific performances, along with others not mentioned here, will be discussed and praised sufficiently that their lack of inclusion will be overlooked.
Film Comment has released their top films of 2017, with Josh and Benny Safdie‘s Good Time taking the number one spot. The number two and three spots went to Terence Davies‘ A Quiet Passion and Olivier Assayas‘ Personal Shopper respectively.
Out of curiousity, I went ahead and broke down the titles that ended up securing a place on my year-end list. Of the 50 titles, 52% of them happened to theatrical offerings while the other 48% were viewed via the internet; websites like
2016, while a disaster in nearly every other regard, was a good year for cinema with a bevy of memorable releases. As per usual, I had an insanely difficult time narrowing my list down to twenty entries, frequently replacing and moving items
Continuing our year-end wrap-up we have Blake’s top 20 films of the year, which once again have something for just about everyone. Whether you’re into meaty dramas or suspenseful horror flicks, Blake’s list has you covered. Take a look below and
Yesterday saw the release of my standout male performances from 2016 and today marks the release of the standout female performances. I think it’s safe to say that the overall standout in all of 2016 would have to be Isabelle Huppert in
Interestingly enough, 52% (13 out of 25) of these titles that comprise the first half of my year-end list came by way of various internet outlets. The most of which (6) were viewed via NoBudge.com; while Mubi, FestivalScope and personal Vimeo
Like always, there are a number of performances missing from my year-end list due to the fact that I have not seen said performances. Performances such as Mahershala Ali in Barry Jenkins’ Moonlight or Casey Affleck in Kenneth Lonergan’s Manchester by the Sea, to
There were a bevy of short films in the year 2016; so many that the majority of them would have tied in various spots on my Top 50 Films of the Year, so I have assembled those shorts here, culled from a diverse selection of online offerings (Filmmaker Magazine, NoBudge, Booooooom, Kinet.Media, Vimeo, and Mubi). Plenty more to be found in my Top 50.